Thursday, January 21, 2010

Easy Apple Crisp




I often throw together an apple crisp when company comes over. It's one of those desserts that is easy to do fast and then let it cook and fill your house with a yummy smell.
I don't use a recipe, but just throw the stuff together and mmm, mmm, yum.

I use about 4-5 apples and cut them with my handy apple slicer from the above picture. I cut each of the apple pieces in half and I leave the skin on. Normally you should take it off, but really, I'm lazy and too lazy to peel the apples so I throw them in the dish (that has been sprayed or buttered)

This last time I sprinkled them with cinnamon, just because I could. I didn't notice it, so next time I guess I should do more...hmmm, oh well
In a mixing bowl I start the topping, because lets face it, really that's all I want anyway, it's the best part, the apples are just to make me think I'm making it for the appley goodness, but seriously we all know the truth here

I always make a large amount of the crisp top. I put the quick rolled oats and the brown sugar in the bowl and add some flour to help thicken the sauce that will form. I mix it all together. Then I add the butter and use two knives to cut the butter into the oats/sugar mix. I cut it in until it's all mixed.

If you need to know about how much I use of each, I would guess 2 cups of oats, 1 3/4 cups of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour and 3/4 cup of butter, more if you want.

I put it in the oven at 350 for about an hour. Less if I make a smaller one for just the three of us. Let it cool a bit and enjoy on it's own or with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream.

Of course this is amazing with rhubarb (add some white sugar on the rhubarb to cut the tartness), peaches, pears, blueberries and the list goes on!

Let me know if you whip one up! It's a yummy treat and the leftovers are good the next day to!

1 comment:

  1. Easy desserts are the only way to go! I love apple crisps. Right now we only have red delicious apples though, and the kids are the only ones that will eat them. I do need to do some baking this weekend so that I have desserts for lunches next week. I've been in a bit of trouble for not having any this week.

    ReplyDelete