Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Beef and Kale Tacos with Homemade Tortillas


I've missed posting my cooking adventures.  I still am exploring and cooking new and interesting things as always.  Trying to stay away from processed foods and slowly moving my family to an organic diet.
I have a list of a few meals that are always my 'go to' meals that I know my family love and will eat without much complaint.  So if I've been experimenting and my family needs something simple I put one of my 'go to meals' in my menu plan.
My family loves tacos.  I often make my own Mexican rice and my homemade re-fried beans.  Today however, I had a busy day and had not soaked the pinto beans and I'm out of rice, waiting for an organic order to come in.
I have found a fantastic and EASY tortilla recipe.  I've used it numerous times and really love it.  The tortillas are super easy to roll out and cook up fast.  
Today I used coconut oil in the recipe.  I melted it and added the 3 tablespoons and returned the unused melted oil to my jar.  Coconut oil can melt and return to solid with out compromising the integrity of the oil.
 I do suggest that you roll out the tortillas one at a time as you cook them.  One time I rolled them all, stacked them and then had to re-roll it all as they all stuck together and I could not get them apart.  Roll them thin and stretch them if you need to.  Be sure to have a hot pan.  You will see them bubble up nice and fast.  I never worry about a nice round shape.  We really love these.  The recipe makes 8 nice size tortillas.
And in my quest to get as many veggies in my family as possible.  I cooked up the grass fed ground beef and added a plethora of organic veggies, including; kale, celery, onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots.  This not only gets more vegetables into my family, but it saves on having a big meal of meat and as a result, makes the meal go further.  I also to not believe in hiding the vegetables.  I want my kids to know what they are eating and be aware that they do like all sorts of vegetables.
I garnished the tacos with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado and Greek yogurt.  Super super fantastic and yummy.  Yes, Greek yogurt.  I stopped buying sour cream.  Greek yogurt is a better choice and my kids are fine with it. 
We had cut carrots and cucumber on the side.  Everyone loved dinner and we have lots of leftovers for lunch this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment